Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Eureka Miniatures 15mm Modern Russians

All,

For the next installment on my 15mm side project, we have more Eureka Miniatures modern troops, this time Russians.  They are fantastic sculpts, very clean and crisp, little flash to remove, and they paint up quick and easy, particularly given the simple camo paintjob I did on their uniforms.  The camo looks good to me, looks like uniforms I've seen, and was a break after putting Multicam on the Australians, which I kinda owed myself ;)

The whole force, 21 troops supported by a Zvezda 1/100 scale BTR.  The 21 troops come from a one man leader pack, a four-man MG pack, a two-man grenadier pack, a two-man RPG pack, and the remaining 12 rifleman are from two duplicate packs of 6 men.  So let's get to the individual poses then!

The first pose, a rifleman firing off-hand.  All the uniforms, gear, and weapons were painted the same, with the only variation being some guys have camo helmet covers and some don't (just plain green metal showing).

Wouldn't be a blog post of mine if at least one picture wasn't blurry...

Reverse.  They've all got light gear; I'm a fan of more, but you don't seem to see too much in the way of gear in photos of modern Russians/satellite states.

Next pose, a rifleman moving forward at port arms.  Guy on right doesn't have a helmet cover.

Reverse.

Guy planted, firing from the hip.

Reverse.

Next guy is moving forward at the crouch.

Reverse.

Moving forward looking over his sights.

Reverse.

Another guy moving forward at the crouch.

Reverse.

The two grenadiers.

Reverse.

Two riflemen with RPGs, either RPG-18s or 22s I guess, not sot sure which, or if you could even tell the difference in 15mm.

Reverse.  You can see the guy on the left has a folding-stock AK.

On to the machine gunners, the first two PKM poses.

The weapon always occurred to me a very long and awkward to assault fire...

Reverse.

The other two PKM poses.  Again, not really a fan of prone poses, but this one is really well done.  I marvel at the fact the bipod legs of all the MGs/SAWs I've seen from Eureka are casted on the weapon but are not 'solid,' i.e., filled in (you can distinctly see both legs).

Reverse.

Well, I took some close-ups of the prone machine gunner, but I failed to hit them at an angle where you could see both legs of the bipod.  In any case, I was really impressed with this sculpt and wanted to show it off.  Probably should have put this guy on a nickel, but didn't want him to be on a thicker base than everyone else...

Again.

And Ze Beeg Boss, with fluffy furry hat, AKA "Comrade Major Sorensonovich."

Reverse.

I won't comment on all of them, but I took a bunch of photos of the Zvezda BTR.  I am not much of a modeller at all, and so I was very happy to see the vehicle was only in about a dozen pieces (three piece hull, turret, and eight wheels), and it went together like a champ.

15mm does aggravate me with how expensive the damn vehicles are though!!!!  This one was relatively cheap at $8...

And I'm not much of a painter, particularly when it comes to vehicles, but I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.  In my humble opinion this is probably the best looking vehicle I've ever done.  I probably went a bit heavy on the dry-brushing, but it looks okay to me in terms of weathering.





Oh, and we have a bonus section...

Since Christmas I've had my eye on one of my boy's Matchbox cars, with regards to its suitability for 20mm games.  So I stole it, spray painted it black then threw some detail paint on it and gave it a wash.



I even put a license plate on it ;)

*EDIT* For Andy - here's the uniform look I was going after:

Though I'll say that I've seen pics where the leaf patterns are more yellowish, which is what I did.

Well, that's these guys.  I've got one more post for troops (Eureka Chechens), and I have one more batrep I still haven't typed up.  I will do my best to get off my butt, but I've been busy as heck lately.

V/R,
Jack

6 comments:

  1. Looks great, and the BTR did indeed come out nice. What is the base uniform color for the Russians?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irish,

      Thanks man, I appreciate it! I used a Testors spray paint, Medium Green, as the base color for the Russian uniforms and the BTR. If you need the color number let me know and I'll check it out.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  2. Looking good as usual. Are those the "sun bunny" uniforms?

    Doin' OK at moment, managing to avoid the remnants of your E Coast snow storm, which fell as several inches of rain over the Welsh mountains here in the UK last night, but left us in Chester in the rain shadow - very glad of that!!

    Cheers, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,

      Hang in there man, just a little rain ;) We're doing alright in Texas; hell it was 70 degrees Fahrenheit last week!

      The troops painted up quick and easy, I highly recommend them. Regarding the uniform, it's Soviet and I think it's called 'leaf pattern.' I edited the post and put a picture from the internet at the bottom to show the uniform.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    2. Great photo, thanks. Yes, I think that's what they call the Sun Bunny pattern. Nice - I did my 20mm Spetsnaz that way, or tried to.

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete
    3. Hadn't heard of 'Sun Bunny' before, but just Googled it and I'll be damned! Thanks Andy!

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete